WELCOME TO THE NATIONAL YOUTH COUNCIL OF UGANDA - (NYC) UGANDA
The National Youth Councils is an autonomous body established by an Act of Parliament in 1993 (National Youth Council Act Cap 319). It is an umbrella organization of all Youth in Uganda and is mandated to organize, mobilize and engage Youth in development activities as well as protect them from any kind of manipulation. It is also a channel through which the youth can contribute and benefit from the country’s development process.
Since its inception in 1993, the National Youth Council has provided opportunities for the young people to participate in the decision making process at local government and central government levels.
Who is a youth?
According to the National Youth Council Act Cap 319. Section 2, a youth is a person between the age of 18 and 30 years.
• To organize the youth of Uganda in a unified body
• To engage the Youth in activities that are of benefit to them and the nation
• To protect the youth against any kind of manipulation
THE MAIN FUNCTIONS OF NYC
- To inspire and promote among the Youth a spirit of unity and national consciousness.
- To provide a unified and integrated system through which the Youth may communicate and coordinate their ideas and activities.
- To establish channels through which economic and social services and amenities may reach the Youth in all areas of Uganda.
- To encourage the Youth to consolidate their role in national development in the economic, social, cultural and educational fields.
- To initiate and encourage the formation of Youth organizations and to facilitate communication among them.
- To promote relations between Youth organizations in Uganda and international Youth organizations and other bodies with similar objects or interests; and
- To do all such other things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the objects of the Council under this Statute.
To be the leading organization in empowerment of Youths, enabling them to serve and contribute effectively in the development process.
To contribute significantly through the Youth Council structures to the social economic empowerment of Youth by creating a sustainable and enabling environment.